Electrical safety with cheap charger.

The temptation to buy the cheapest charger is real, however there are hidden dangers which you should be aware.

Unlike DJI’s original charger which has a polymer case and is double insulated the cheap chargers have metal case and potentially dangerous.

SAFETY MESSAGE.

This particular charger is extremely dangerous and a potential electrocution risk.
If you do decide to buy this charger, please make sure you Earth it as the original design “as is” can be fatal.
It has a metal case with no Earth and no double insulation.
This charger will not pass any electrical standards in all modern country.
So for your own and loved one’s safety sake – make sure you Earth it if you still want to use it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/…/electrici…/mainselectricityrev4.shtml

“Earthing and double insulation

Electrical appliances are earthed or double insulated for safety.
Earthing
close up of the cooker shows the live, neutral and earth wires going into the mains, and an extra wire coming from the earth socket connecting to the casing
Earthing of an electric cooker
Many electrical appliances, including cookers, washing machines and refrigerators, have metal cases. The earth wire creates a safe route for the current to flow through, if the live wire touches the casing.
You will get an electric shock if the live wire inside an appliance, such as a cooker, comes loose and touches the metal casing. However, the earth terminal is connected to the metal casing, so the current goes through the earth wire instead of causing an electric shock. A strong current surges through the earth wire because it has a very low resistance. This breaks the fuse and disconnects the appliance.
Double insulation
a small square inside a larger square
Symbol for double insulation
Some appliances, such as vacuum cleaners and electric drills, do not have an earth wire. This is because they have plastic casings, or they have been designed so that the live wire can not touch the casing. As a result, the casing cannot give an electric shock, even if the wires inside become loose.”

15665579_10210192901991515_4817605489169499659_n

Enjoy and stay safe.

Lynh Phan

Share.

About Author

Comments are closed.